LGBT literature is an all encompassing term for literature produced by people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, or which involves characters, plot lines or themes concerning this community.
Premiere Selection of Online Books.
Lesbian literature, gay pulp and gay science fiction are genres of LGBT fiction which represent some of the earliest incorporation of these "taboo" subjects in contemporary literature. Novels like La Garçonne by Victor Margueritte (1922) and The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall (1928) are early examples of books with lesbian themes.
LGBT authors, characters and themes are present in all genres of literature, but the increasing amount of LGBT fiction emerging in recent years has established several (if unofficial) subgenres, including LGBT mystery, horror and romance, as well as gay teen and lesbian teen fiction.
- Pages passed from hand to hand : the hidden tradition of homosexual literature in English from 1748 to 1914 edited and with an introduction by Mark Mitchell and David Leavitt, Chatto & Windus 1998
- Homosexuality in Literature, 1890-1930 by Jeffrey Mayers, Athlone, 1977
- A History of Gay Literature: The Male Tradition by Gregory Woods, Yale University Press, 1999
- Gaiety Transfigured: Gay Self-Representation in American Literature edited by David Bergman, University of Wisconsin Press, 1991
- Beyond Sex and Romance? : the politics of contemporary lesbian fiction edited by Elaine Hutton, Womens's Press, 1998.
- Lesbian and Gay Writing: An Anthology of Critical Essays edited by Mark Lilly, Macmillan, 1990
- Love Between Men in English Literature by Paul Hammond, Macmillan, 1996
- The Homosexual as Hero in Contemporary Fiction by Stephen Adams, Vision, 1980
- The Penguin Book of Homosexual Verse, edited by Stephen Coote, Penguin, 1983
- Essays on Gay Literature edited by Stuart Kellogg, Harrington Park Press, 1983.
- Gay & Lesbian Books on Amazon.com
- Lambda Literary Foundation - Publishes the Lambda Book Report and the Lambda Literary Awards
- Blithe House Quarterly - online journal
- Encyclopedia of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Culture on Gay Literature
- Lodestar Quarterly — an Online Journal of the Finest Gay, Lesbian, and Queer Literature
- Lesbian Mysteries features Lesbian Mystery Novels