Difference between revisions of "MillionDollarWiki:FAQ"
(New page: == What is the idea? == Think of this site like Wikipedia. There is a page for literally every word you can think of. The difference is, instead of anyone being able to edit the content, ...)
m (Protected "MillionDollarWiki:FAQ" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 03:53, 2 June 2007
- 1 What is the idea?
- 2 Who are you?
- 3 How did you come up with the idea?
- 4 Why should I buy your words?
- 5 I've purchased a word. Now what?
- 6 Can I Re-Sell a word I've purchased?
- 7 How long will the site be online?
- 8 Can I buy words that are two words?
- 9 What is the URL to my Wiki page?
- 10 Can I purchase dirty words?
- 11 How do I add content to my Wiki page?
What is the idea?
Think of this site like Wikipedia. There is a page for literally every word you can think of. The difference is, instead of anyone being able to edit the content, you have to purchase a word (page) from me. The person then owns that page. The idea is simple: to try and make $1m (US) by selling 10,000 words in my wiki for $100 each. Hence, 'The Million Dollar Wiki". My motivation for doing this? That's easy. I'm graduating from college with a useless degree and tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Oh yeah, and I don't even own a car. I'd like to move past all this in one gigantic leap, and open a bar in Boston. What type of bar? Well, that's a secret. It will be the greatest bar in the history of the world though, I promise you that.
Everyone is welcome to buy my words. Just think how much traffic you can potentially get for $100! Think of how many people you can get your message out to! I guarantee the site to be up for 15 years, though I'd really like to keep it up as long as I live. The url is simple too. For example, if you purchase the page for "Car", the address of that page is MillionDollarWiki.com/Car -what could be easier than that?! If you own that word, you can turn around and sell it down the road too! Just think what Ford or GM might pay for it!
You can buy as many words as you like, as long as they're available. To see if they're available, do a search for the word. If the page doesn't exist yet, you can order it.
The content you put on your page will be displayed in the wiki permanently. The only event in which your page will change is if you sell your page. The new buyer can then change the page as they like while still adhering to the guidelines. Using some of the money I make from the site, I guarantee to keep it online for at least 15 years, but if my lawyers do their job right it will be online forever. That's my goal. I'm serious. My children's children's children's children will own this site and it still will be exactly the same.
Who are you?
My name is Graham Langdon. I'm 21 years old and I live in Connecticut. I'm a senior at UConn, and I'm majoring in Anthropology and Psychology (translation: I'll be jobless after I graduate). I'm in debt up to my ears, don't own a car (which makes it tough to have a girlfriend!), and I dream of opening a bar in Boston.
How did you come up with the idea?
It was a mild summer day in May 2007. I had been playing around with wikis for the last few weeks, and had always been impressed with Alex Tew's million dollar homepage. I thought, if he could sell a million pixels, I could sell a million words! Then, I realized that there probably aren't a million words in the english language, but I could probably sell ten thousand if I included all the slang, brand names, and suffixes that make up the English language today! If it got the right buzz, I'm sure all the online casinos would want to own words like poker, gambling, roulette, blackjack, etc. And who would want to own the page for Ipod? Or College? Or Money? That's the cool thing about this: it's an experiment. Who knows what people will put on their pages? I imagine a lot of it will be links to drive traffic to their sites, but I bet we see some really interesting pages too! Whoever buys the page owns it forever (unless they sell it). It's going to be totally sweet!
Why should I buy your words?
1. Because it's inexpensive publicity. You own the page for 15 years, and you can have an image and a link to your site under the word you buy, which can potentially be seen by millions of people over the years, especially if the Million Dollar Wiki gains some fame. The idea is to keep the site up forever, so it would probably be the best $100 you ever spent! If you're a business, you spend more on business cards!
2. You can RE-SELL your word! That means if the Million Dollar Wiki page gets BIG, and you own a word like "Business" or "Money" or "Buy" or "Invest", you can turn around and auction your page on eBay, or sell it to an interested buyer. Think about it. If you own "Newspaper", you could get the New York Times and the USA Today in a bidding war for your word! Please read our Reseller Guide.
I've purchased a word. Now what?
After you buy a word, you will receive an email from us with your username, password, and link to edit your page.
- Editing the page with the wiki editor:
- Your page has a built in editor that allows you to add images, text, and links.
- This is simple, quick, and easy. It does not allow for intensive customized design, for that we have html.
- Creating an HTML page (For a more customized look).
- You can create a page in html, which can be no wider than 650 pixels.
- Include a folder for all the images you have on the page.
- Send it to us! We'll upload the page and images onto our server (after scanning for viruses, of course!), and display it in your wiki page using IFrames.
So there you have it. Something for everyone. Throw up a few simple images, some text, and some links in seconds using the wiki editor (Which is exactly the same as Wikipedia's editor), or create your own html page and send it to us with an images folder for a more customized look.
Email any questions to help [at] milliondollarwiki.com
Can I Re-Sell a word I've purchased?
Yes! Your word is an investment that could potentially become quite valuable. That's half the fun. See our Reseller Guide.
How long will the site be online?
The site will be online for 15 years guaranteed (at least until May 2022) but my goal is to keep it online as long as humanly possible by passing it down through my family with the assistance of a law firm.
Can I buy words that are two words?
No, not right now. Every page must be a single word. That means no one can register "Electric Guitar", only "Guitar" or "Electric". This rule is subject to change at any time without any prior notice.
What is the URL to my Wiki page?
- Its MillionDollarWiki.com/yourpage
- For example, if your word is "Basketball", its www.MillionDollarWiki.com/Basketball
Can I purchase dirty words?
No, not right now. Every word must be non-offensive. That means no one can register "F**k, or Sh*t, or A*s, etc. Of course, this rule is subject to change at any time without any prior notice.
How do I add content to my Wiki page?
After you've purchased your words, you'll receive a username and password, and a link to edit your page. You can also supply us with an html file and folder of images, that we will incorporate into your wiki page using IFrames.